Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lesson # 2 Genealogy Resources

I am still playing catch up with this course. Here are a few of my thoughts on the Discovery Exercises accompanying Lesson #2 on Genealogy:
- Firstly, I began trying to search the Heritage Quest Online using my maiden name "Rogers". I was uncertain on dates and places so my results were numerous using such a generic name. Finding myself getting impatient and annoyed, I decided to try to use my husband's name which is VERY unique (there are less than a hundred Czarnezkis in the US and I know many of them and their relationships). This search brought only a few results and I learned some interesting things about their family history. It looks like from the 1920 census, there were a couple of boys named Lad and Bollice that were listed as pupils within what looks like a school or orphanage. I found it chanllenging to read some of these handwritten records! Also from the 1920 Census, there was a listing for a Mary Czarnezki that listed her as the head of a household with two children and operator of a tailor shop in Illinois. I found this fascinating. I would post an image of this but for some reason I keep getting an error message when I try to upload my PDF image I saved from the Heritage Quest Online.
- Alaska was not featured until the 1900 census. Significant records are not really found until the 1920 Census which makes sense since Anchorage and that area was really developed in the 1910's. I also found it interesting that some of the "locations" from the drop down menus were listed as "SS..."; I took this to mean maybe it was a list of passengers on a particular ship in that region at the time.
- As for trying to learn how to print these records in a usable format, I was not successful. I am feeling WAY behind at this rate so I think I will continue with the lessons and return to this one if I feel I have time later.

No comments: